Saturday, July 21, 2007


My first year at university has come to an end and I find myself in the middle of my summer. So now I guess I should ask the question the Pulitzer prize winning musical Rent so famously coined: How do you measure a year? A year full of new experiences, new friends, a year in a new world...
If I were to begin to tell you about a year of Salvador Dali, cocktail parties, black gowns, rain, incredible friendships, countless art galleries, the streets of London in high heels, Tony Blair retiring as Prime Minister, bomb scares and goodbyes I don't know if that would begin to sum it up. Looking out of the floor to ceiling window in my new apartment I could describe a street lined with 17th century houses, cobble stoned roads and the red sign that proudly advertises the mode of communication that is still highly prized and respected in the UK; the Post Office. But these are only glimpses of what I see. I've been introduced to new world views, have seen that success and ambition drives this country to have one of the highest stress levels in Europe. I've survived the exam period where first year law students became crazed conniving creatures living in dens filled with books and dirty coffee cups strewn across the floor. And now I find myself once again facing the terrifying thought of what happens next. Because next summer is the summer of the VAT schemes, vacation placements with top law firms in order to put your foot into the door that will bring you to the great race. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the rat race. Forgive me if I'm sounding slightly cynical. The cynicism is just my fear vocalized. Yet I'm in this journey of trust. To trust that He who is faithful till the end has a plan for my life and that instead of trying to be in control I should let Him take hold of my hand and lead me forward. It's terrifying because the thing with destiny and God promising that He has a plan and a future for your life, is that you can't deny that your life is going somewhere even when everything inside you is screaming with frustration. You see, He'll always come back to remind you, always come once more with His peace that transcends the chaos of this world. And when I'm quiet and at rest again He'll speak and give me a new attitude, a changed perspective. Guy Chevreau in his book "Turnings" says that in order to see clearly we have to look at things upside down. I guess what he's trying to explain is that God's way is not our way. That things turn a little topsy turvy when we're living out a life in His footsteps. So now theres summer. A missions trip to Malaysia with friends, a few weeks alone just sitting in His presence, time in New Zealand with family. Life really is not so bad after all. Here's to the dolce vita. :) cheers!

1 comment:

Brendan Daniel Serez said...

it's depressing when people don't comment anymore....... awe...

HOW WAS KL?!?!